Wrinkles are caused by a number of factors, including genetic pre-disposition and sun damage. However, there are a number of things you can do to stave off the appearance of wrinkles and there is no reason to look older than you are. Let’s take a closer look at the causes of wrinkles and what we can do to prevent them from appearing early.
Genetic disposition simply means that if your mother and grandmother had wrinkles early then you are likely genetically predisposed to wrinkling early, as well. Predisposed does not mean fated, though – there are still things you can do that your mother and grandmother probably didn’t even know about. One of the wisest things you can do is to avoid sun exposure. Sun damage is a major cause of wrinkling skin but was practically unavoidable 30 years ago. These days, though, there is a lot more known about how to prevent and counteract the sun’s damaging rays.
What you take into your body will affect how your skin looks and how it ages. Nutrition plays a very important role in maintaining healthy skin and in learning how to prevent wrinkles. Vitamins such as A, B-complex, C and E are all vital in supplying the skin with what it needs to produce new skin cells. Minerals such as selenium and copper help the skin cells to be structurally sound so that skin stays firm – sagging skin will lead to the formation of wrinkles. Antioxidants are extremely important to combat the effects of free radicals on the skin.
Hydration is another factor in how to prevent wrinkles. With hydrating the skin, it is crucial to do so from both inside and out. Inside, it is simply a matter of drinking enough water to keep your body running at optimal performance. Outside hydration is just as important for the skin because the skin’s surface dries out quickly even when we drink enough water. Air pollution, sun, wind – all of these things affect how the outer surface of the skin looks. Using a high quality, absorb-able moisturizer is crucial in keeping the skin’s moisture levels where they should be.
A good skincare regimen is your best weapon for how to prevent wrinkles and the earlier you start, the better. Too many people wait until wrinkles are starting to form before they take care of their skin. Although some products can help still, it’s so much better to prevent them from forming to start with. Here’s the basics of what you need in a good skincare regimen:
- Gentle cleansing morning and night with a product made for the delicate skin of the face (especially make sure that all makeup is removed before going to bed)
- Each morning after cleansing and before applying cosmetics, use a good moisturizer like Age Defying Day Cream – this will protect the face all day
- Each evening after cleansing, use a night cream to deep moisturize while you sleep. Restorative Night Cream is perfect as it also works to heal the skin of the day’s wear and tear.
- Every other week, give yourself a facial with Age Defying Cleansing Mask as this will remove all the toxins and impurities that can clog pores, as well as helping to exfoliate the outer layer of dull, dead skin cells.
- On the opposite weeks, do your facial with Age Defying Hydrating Mask which penetrates moisture deep with the skin’s layers and helps it retain moisture on a daily basis.
- Take a good multi-supplement daily to ensure you get all the vitamins, minerals and micro-nutrients that are essential to healthy skin. The Total Balance line of supplements is ideal as it is all natural and highly bio-available, meaning that the body will absorb the nutrients readily.